Firefly 1c Welded Hull1:35 Army vehicles -
2012 Apr 3
Firefly 1c Welded Hull – Dragon
Dragon’s newest 1/35 scale Allied plastic kit depicts a Firefly Ic, and thus it’s based on the M4 Sherman with welded hull. This kit sensibly makes use of molds from the latest and most accurate Sherman kits to come from Dragon. However, it also includes a number of brand new parts – the turret hatch and periscope being just a couple of examples. The M4 welded hull and the turret have received thickened armor plates appropriate to this Firefly type.
The weld seams are particularly well done and they look extremely authentic. Slide molds are used throughout, and there’s also a generous supply of photo-etched parts. Modelers will find the T48 tracks made from DS to be extremely user-friendly. Indeed, this very well-engineered Firefly kit will light up many a modeler’s face!
With the increasing thickness of German armor, as well as more powerful enemy guns, it became imperative for British tanks to field a more powerful weapon than the standard 75mm armament on the Sherman. The solution was the Firefly. Although originally intended only as a stopgap measure, the Firefly 1c with its 17-pounder gun proved very effective after its introduction in mid-1944. Its first major combat occurred in Normandy after D-Day and it acquitted itself well.
Firefly 1c Features:
- Newly tooled turret roof w/clear parts
- Brand new Firefly 1c w/authentic detail
- New designed engine deck ventilator covers
- 2-directional slide molds enable one-piece upper hull w/weld seam
- Turret roof w/bomb-thrower port can be optionally assembled
- Slide-molded gun shield and rotor shield w/maximum detail
- Slide-molded anti-aircraft MG w/hollow end
- Anti-aircraft w/pedestal mount on turret roof as bonus
- Two types of air-filter on the rear hull made by slide mold
- Tow-bar w/hock realistically presented
- Engine rear doors can be assembled open/closed
- Appliqué armor plates on both of upper hull sides
- Detailed engine deck splash guard
- Loader’s hatch w/interior detail
- One-piece chassis w/bolt details
- Fire extingushers on the hull rear
- Radio bracket w/realistic weld seams
- Commander’s hatch w/periscope assembly
- Slide-molded rear stowage boxes
- Armored plate welded over MG port
- Sprocket molded w/great detail
- Layout of the OVM accurately displayed
- Gun lock can be modeled in travel or combat modes
- DS T48 tracks w/fine detail
Firefly 1c Pre Order available here.